Friday, October 31, 2008

Jesus Christ!


Imagine someone you love thinking your existence was wrong? A shitty thought, isn't it?

It all has to do with religion. Religion, in my opinion, is the root of all evil. I really hate it. It's what makes my grandmother think that her grandson is going to hell. It makes her think her daughter is going to hell. Hell, a place where your soul burns for eternity. How could someone think things like that about those they love? Religion. Brainwashing. It's like a cult, really. You go and give your money, chant to your sky god and learn to judge everyone around you because they are not as good as you, not as godly as you. Although I've never agreed with it, I used to think religion was a good thing. There to help the meek get through the day to day. Now I have realized it isn't helping. Not at all. It's holding people down. Forcing them to not question things. The world has advanced the way it has because people HAVE questioned things. What if no one formed their own thoughts? Everywhere would be like Los Angeles! Awful, I know. People should question the world around them. Why should you base your whole life around something you have no concrete evidence even exists? The answer to this? Faith. That's not an answer at all. Why should a person need someone to tell them what they can or cannot do? Or even worse, that they should live in fear, of God, the very God who created them?

With the stupid election drawing to a close I, of course, am unable to ignore it. I did my best to try to. It is unavoidable. I honestly don't care who's voting for who. I don't. I don't want to hear about it. But, I really feel like people think it's a war on religion. If you're a conservative, you believe in god. And, heaven forbid, you are liberal, you support Muslims, terror and Satan. COME ON! What the fuck people? Seriously? My brain hurts when I think about this shit because it blows my mind how fucking far off course everyone is. Politics and religion are two separate things. Keep your Religion in your house of worship. It's funny then when you think about it. When you know your friends and family vote conservative, even though the whole country is crumbling, just because their church, or their parents, or God, or whomever tells them too. It makes you think. What do they really think of you? My grandmother can look me in the eyes, hug me, tell me she loves me and can think my whole life is a sin. That my soul will burn in hell for eternity. She would vote away all of my rights. Because someone else told her so. It's sad. I sleep comfortably at night knowing there is no hell. Or heaven. We are all animals on this earth and anyone who thinks they are a gift from God is a total narcissist. Religion is an outdated, archaic tool to keep uneducated townsfolk from tearing off people's heads or stealing each others gold. There is no place for it in today's society.

With that being said, go vote for whoever you want. Go pray to whoever you want. Just don't talk to me about it or I'll burn down your goddamned church and steal your gold, asshole.

3 comments:

Jonathan said...

Oh, faith. The reasoning that one should believe simply because one should believe. Along with it, the ultimate answer for all ridiculous holes and contradictions in religious teachings: "The lord works in mysterious ways."

The basis of science is to question all around you, and to challenge the findings of others until they are finally proven as fact. Even facts are tossed out when new evidence refutes them.

The basis of religion is to take guidance from your religious text (or wherever the follower decides to get their information) and accept it as truth, despite all challenging evidence around you.

It's sickening that people so fervently support something that causes so much destruction and hatred, and feel so good about themselves for it.

You're right. Religion is a tool that helped societies develop an (however misguided) understanding of their world and a code of conduct amongst one another. In modern times, however, it is just dangerous. In the hands of those powerful and charismatic enough to use it to their own advantage, it is a devastating weapon.

My dad is my hero because he—after spending so much of his life and energy spreading the gospel and raising us as a good christian family—had the courage to think objectively about what he was preaching to people; to question his own beliefs. I wish more people could do the same, because it brings an understanding that "we are equal" is more than a catchphrase.

I don't think religious people are evil (though some awful people use religion as their weapon of choice, and some others are turned evil by their embrace of religion). The willingness to submit yourself completely to external teachings over experience and objective thought? That is.

jacobwissman said...

Well, WE still think they're ridiculous. Don't we girls?

aa said...

this is why i respect you: though you know i am religious and i make stupid decisions based on it, you want something better for me. you have not cast me aside. you challenge me, therein making me a better person. thank you.