Thursday, August 14, 2008

Grocery Shopping

Just down Broadway and a left on Manhattan, lies the Food Bazaar. Nestled between the projects and the JMZ subway line like a genital wart tucked snugly between two labia, the Food Bazaar is the primary grocer serving the residents off the Flushing stop.



I can't even describe this place and pictures don't do it justice, but I felt the need to share. Misery loves company, I guess.



The smell when shopping here is always different though always stale. The rotten and/or soggy produce is consistently rotten and/or soggy. The lines are long and there is absolutely no order in which things are shelved. All and all it makes for an awful shopping trip, one you try to hold your breath through while moving as fast as possible.



Watch your step!



What does Goya have on sale this week?!



Rotten peanuts! I'll take a pound!



Fun around every corner!



Here at Food Bazaar the slogan reads, "Getting Better Than Yesterday!", this is, in fact, not true.



This is where I always hold my breath.




Look out! More locals.



There's always something new to discover at the Food Bazaar.



This gentleman was looking mighty fierce in his grey mesh tee.



The best part is at the end of this horrible experience, after your enthusiastic checkout service, they expect a tip.



Oh, who would have thought that something as simple as grocery shopping could be so... not fun?
I guess I'll have to do my shopping in Manhattan, not ON Manhattan.


No, thank you food bazaar.

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

"Getting better than yesterday?" Is that seriously their slogan? I've never noticed. They should change it to "Why get off food stamps when you don't have to work?"

Nick Kusner said...

Wow. That is the best blog post I've ever read. The gritty truth as seen through Jacob's eyes. I hate Jon's neighborhood - I'll take warehouses and Brooklyn Natural any day.